1. I woke up and had cranberry bread for breakfast. My mom makes it at Christmas because she loves me, and we have it for breakfast, and it is good. Well, I have it for breakfast. Mom is having gingerbread.
2. I checked my e-mail to find an e-mail from an old friend I haven't talked to in years. Tina and I didn't ever have a fight or anything -- we just grew apart, got different interests in junior high and high school. But she was a fierce and loyal friend when I was in grade school, and I'm glad to hear from her again.
3. markgritter and the folks and I will be lunching at Spirit World. It's an Omaha liquor store, but it has a deli attached, so you needn't worry about us drinking our lunch. If they have rosemary bread, I will have hunter chicken salad; if not, I will have Greek chicken salad on marble bread. It will be good.
4. Dad and I will go last-minute shopping -- nothing urgent, we're already effectively done, but we keep an eye out for little additions -- and get fruit and yogurt. We've been doing this for as long as I can remember.
5. Grandma will serve smorgasbord for supper. The lefse is ready, the herring is bought, and the clam chowder won't get started until later this afternoon.
6. There will be presents. Some of them are shaped like books, and some are not, and that's a good combination, I think.
7. Tomorrow there will be stockings and cinnamon rolls, and it turns out my aunt and uncle and cousin and cousin-in-law will be able to join the rest of us for Christmas dinner before they head up to my other cousin's house.
What's your winter holiday of choice, and what makes it cool for you?